Vandyke Brown

CMPatti@aol.com
Date: 09/30/00-08:12:27 PM Z

I've been playing around w/ my first bottle of VDB. It's so cheap and easy,
I figured there must be a catch, so I began to wonder, how permanent is it?
I believe I've heard that, because the silver grains are finer than in silver
gelatin, it's more susceptible to chemical attack. Then I thought, maybe
toning would help. I tried a couple of prints in selenium, which turned them
from brown to a slightly warm grey ("these sure do look a lot like
platinums") and bleached them somewhat (OK, b/c my first efforts were too
dark after dry down). So questions for you VDB afficianados: (1) Will these
prints last? (2) Will selenium toning make them last longer? (3) Any
suggestions on paper? (I was using some Arches Platine I had lying around;
worked OK.) (4) Is there any way to control contrast, or do I just have to
make perfect negatives? Thanks for any help.

Chris Patti