Re: to mat or not..

Amen to this and other like sentiments: each to his own. I mostly don't
show edges myself, preferring to frame the image the way I framed it in
the camera. But as I make more pinhole images, that could change.

An anecdote from my last opening:  A couple of collectors came and
bought a whole series of work to hang with their Jasper Johns and Susan
Rothenbergs and such. As I was bidding them goodbye, I saw out of the
corner of my eye a young thing with her hair pulled back into a bun and
the zeal of righteousness in her eye, headed my way. Sure enough, she
had just graduated from art school and thought it her duty to inform me
that I was presenting my prints wrong. Handmade prints must ALWAYS show
their edges, she said.  Otherwise, she scolded, how would anyone know
they were authentic? Who would buy a handmade print that had the edges
all matted off like that?  I had the pleasure of smiling graciously at
her as the gallery attendant went around the room placing red dots on
one placard after another.
Katharine Thayer