Re: paper for cyanotypes

> I am fixing to make some cyanotypes, and I have a lot of printmaking paper,
> Rives BFK to be specific.  Is this an ok paper for cyanotypes?  I read that
> you have to use non-buffered paper, and I'm not sure if Rives BFK falls in
> this category or not.
>
> --shannon

BFK Rives and cyanotype get along nicely. I don't think BFK is buffered
since it is 100% cotton and doesn't need to be. Just be gentle as you apply
the cyanotype solution to avoid roughing up the surface of the paper. Unlike
other papers, BFK has little or no sizing and is rather soft and fibrous.
'Pilling' can occur and then when the 'pills' lift off during washing there
can be white flecks underneath. But don't be so gentle and generous with
application that the solution puddles and forms orange crystals unless you
are prepared to like white rims to the puddles where the orange crystals
prevented actinic light from getting through.

Sarah