Re: applying images to ceramicsWARNING

>>I haven't made any studies, but I would surmise there isn't enough to
register >>with ordinary qualitative analysis studies. I'll repeat: there
should be no >>dichromate remaining after exposure and washing, no
measurable amount that >>could do any harm. The dichromate is merely a
catalyst to reform the >>structure of the colloid so that it becomes
insoluble when exposed - it does >>not become a part of the colloid (gum
or gelatin) molecules.

Yes, you are correct, Sil, there is far less material left over. I fully
understand how dichromates function - I refer them to mechanical
emulsions, as there as far more that you can do with it than what is
discussed on this list.

Mix them with a plastic based, water soluble emulsion and you can create
images on almost any surface. Mix them with a suitable resit and you can
create deep etchings, put the emulsion on the back of a stripped mirror
and you can create mirror graphics, mix them with rubber based emulsions,
and you can create sandblast resistant emulsions to create images
sandblasted on glass.

They are very versatile, but there are dangers, too!.

How can you chide me about my warning then go ahead and admit that you
have not made any studies? I will admit that I do not know specific
amounts that are known to be dangerous. Sure, I can quote lots of
scientific info, but this is not the list for that discussion.

The problems with these materials are well understood and it is well
understood that if you are going to use dichromates - or any chemical for
that matter, you should be aware of the potential problems.

And since it is obvious that whenever someone like me who is deadly
serious about chemical hazards posts something about the potential issues
with chemicals, someone else will come along and tell em that I am
worrying a bit too much about it. In fact, I knew my reply to the post
about this matter would generate a reply from you. In fact, I knew when I
wrote it that Sil would hammer me about the warnings. PLEASE.... I DO NOT
MEAN TO OFFEND. You approach this discussion from your point of view and
I do the same.

No, I am not being rude here, but is it so wrong to suggest that if one
is attempting to do this type of work, that everyone involved be made
aware that there are some potential problems? Only a fool will suggest
that it is perfectly OK to proceed without recognizing that possible
problems do exist. I suspect that the last think on some folks minds is
the hazards of what they are doing.

Finally, since I will get hammered even more via e-mail, I might as well
say this. If everyone thinks that alt photography is all beauty and
wonder and not dangerous, better understand that many of the chemicals we
use are potentially deadly. To be plain and bluint about it, Alt
Photography is dangerous - plain and simple, end of story!

Short term or long term it matters little, as it will eventually get you
if you do not pay strict attention to handling the materials. I will also
add that it is a big deal to the people the alternative practitioner
works around if their environment is being contaminated with known
carcinogens. That is exactly what the discussed material is known to be.

I might also suggest that if you farm out the firing of the piece to a
shop, the shop owner, kiln operators and other workers would want to know
what is being done. After all, I want to know specifically what is being
introduced to my working environment. By the way, someone mentioned the
"Alternative Photographic Processes" book in a previous post. Read it,
and Kent will warn you about the dangers of firing this emulsion.

Now, I will admit that I do not know any of you so I can't say how you
all handle and discard materials. You might be very careful and then
again, some might flush the material down the drain or dump it. My point
is be careful and at least take a little time to investigate what you are
using, because I doubt that everyone on this list thinks what they are
doing is potentially dangerous. Look at it this way, if I cam to you and
told you that the materials you were exposed to for the past week are
known carcinogens, highly toxic, can cause uncers and kidney damage, or
damage to the liver --- how would you feel?

Look folks... I am not saying do not use chemicals, far from it. Just
read all you can and learn about the dangers.

B.