Ceramics warnings

A properly installed kiln, like the one I put in our garage for my son, should have a fume hood above it with a blower that sucks up (scientific term) all the (or at least most of ) the gasses which are produced. All of the kilns at the college where I work have these fume hoods.

Once again, a mild warning doesn't hurt, but I think we are all smart enough to know that we should  make sure we know what we are doing before doing it.

In the past on this list we have had warnings about making gold chloride, mercury vapor, bromine, cyanide gas and the fact that the dichromates are carcins. Some of these have been
"chicken little" like i.e overdone and have resulted in flame wars.

I dare say almost all of the chemical compounds we use in alternative process work have dangers associated with them. If you are smart enough to do this work, you should be smart enough to learn the hazards and protect yourself from them, otherwise you should switch to something less dangerous.

I have noticed that no one ever issues warnings about commercial photochemicals for silver-gelatin photography. Check out selenium toner and color developer and bleach sometime.

When I post messages to this list I assume I am communicating with people of well above average intelligence not a bunch of blithering idiots .

Bob Schramm