Re: development for alt-process; SBRs

> I wondered about that--whether the goal is a *relative* range, like say a
> DR of 1.4, or whether the absolute values matter too.  Like, if you had a
> very dense negative with the right range, could you just expose the paper
> longer?
>

> --shannon

This is true to a point. In my example of snow scenes, what's important is
that the limited range is placed up in the highlight and midtone areas of
the film curve. The same interval lower on the curve could make a
dark-to-middle-gray range, but that wouldn't be convincing as snow in the
final print. It might be convincing with another subject.

There's lots of leeway, with range being more important than careful
attention to giving just enough exposure. You can always print through a bit
of excess density if the overall range is appropriate. A lot of excess
exposure pushes the target range too far up the film curve and highlight
values will be crushed together instead of well separated. Too little
exposure is more of a problem because you can't put back information that
isn't there. To go back to your original question, if the range is around
1.55 and that's what you were hoping for, your development is in the
ballpark. If negative areas that should print near black are reading .85
then too much exposure was given and only changing the exposure will correct
it.---Carl