Re: platinum/palladium coating - exposing POP

>From: Eric Neilsen <e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Re: platinum/palladium coating - exposing POP
>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:44:38 -0700
>
>Istvan ,  Are you mixing your AFO and lithium in a batch and then
>dispensing
>small amounts for each coating? You also failed to mention your procedure.
>As this list has kicked around, there are many Blank o types when it comes
>to making what once might have been called a platinum print, so it is
>important to trouble shooting to let us know what else you are doing.
>
>The glass may warm up to higher than acceptable levels.  Rather than
>several
>contact frames, I use different pieces of glass.  This not only lets the
>glass cool back down after use, it allows me to set up another negative for
>printing with any light blocking mask, borders, etc, that the print
>requires.
>
>I don't make many pure lithium palladium prints, but all that I recall are
>quite cool much like a platinum only print.
>
>I  would also suggest that you can use a small fan to help remove the hot
>air from under the light source.  While your glass will still warm up some,
>this will help tremendously.
>
>Eric J. Neilsen
>4101 Commerce Street, Suite #9
>Dallas, TX 75226
>214-827-8301
>http://e.neilsen.home.att.net
>http://www.ericneilsenphotography.com

Eric,

Yes, I mix the sensitizer solution in  a batch then I dispense it, that is
why the later prints are produced with an "old" sensitizer. Hence my
suspicion of its making the color different. I have no consistent procedure
yet (still experimenting), but I try to keep conditions the same in one
printing session. In one session I dried the prints at the Rh of about 60%
the next time I dried it with a hair drier and then exposed it.
Overheating, for some reason, is not a problem for me. I use 4 black light
tubes and they appearantly do not heat the printing frame significantly.
When I used the sun to expose, the frame and the sensitized paper were hot
indeed.
Nevertheless the reason for the different color may be yet an other factor
that I am not aware of. Variables are seemingly infinite in alt processes
but that is the challange and the fun.

                                        Istvan