Re: Matting/Framing, etc.

     Logan Matt Cutter.
My personal opinion of sx-70's is to make your window mat butt right up to
the edge of the image area, and make your borders around the image area
large.  This is not cut in stone (no, of course not; cut in mat...:)).
     Try Graphic Dimensions for your cheap frames, black metal ones come in
all kinds of sizes by the inch, easy to assemble.  There is also
Contemporary Frames--order either Contrast Grey or Black or # 611. Both
companies are on the web.  I would question using a black frame with sx-70s
(?) maybe another softer color being better.
     I personally have Budget Framers cut my archival mats for me to my size
specs, and then do the rest of the framing myself. They have the big machine
that does the clean cuts instead of my puny portable Logan matt cutter.  The
place gives me a discount because of being a "reseller".  I don't know if
Budget Framers is a chain but I assume so.  But making friends with a local
frame shop is good to do.  Maybe display your work there, too.  I just find
my time is better spent not cutting my own matts (what the heck is the
spelling of mat? mat? matt? matte?), and the price is passed on to the
consumer anyway (after the initial shock of outlaying your own bucks).
     My two cents for now.
Chris

> First, until I get a little more up to speed (see "Second") on how to do
> matting and framing myself, any advice on what qualities to look for in a
> shop -- aside from price and being nice to someone who will be asking a
lot
> of questions?  Since I do sx-70 manipulations, most of my work is just
"off"
> square -- so pre-cut mats won't work for me.  They either need to be done
> individually or at least at done in batches at 4x4, 8x8, etc.  I've found
> wholesale place in washington State (unfort I am in DC!!!) that will cut
> whatever sizes -- they have a min order of $100 to do wholesale prices.
The