my first salt prints

I'm hoping to get some suggestion of why my first salt print today was a
failure.  I'll outline the method I used which was taken from
"Alternative Photographic Processes"  by Randall Webb and Martin Reed
(I've noticed Mr. Webb's postings on this list occasionally).  5x6 inch
BKF Rives was salted with 2% ammonium chloride, the paper was dunked for
about five minutes.  After drying, I applied 5 ml of the silver nitrate
solution.  (50 ml of dist. h2o + 12 g of silver nitrate) + (50 ml of
dist. water + 6 g of citric acid).  The citric acid is just a
preservative supposedly.  I spread a ribbon of the solution and used a
rod to draw it across the paper.  I drew it back twice more.  I brought
the contact frame into the full sun of the afternoon and in a moment the
silver nitrate turned dark (along with my hands!)  within 5 minutes i
was checking it and finding a very dark muddy print that looks negative
not positive.  I left it out for 15 more minutes and the let it rest
inside while I ran some errands.  I fixed the print in hypo for 5
minutes and the purple color turned a deep red.  That's where I am now.
I would love some of your opinions.  Some errata:  my silver nitrate
solution has pebbles floating in the bottom after only a week.  Also my
negative had a dmax of 1.6 and dmin of .17.
Nicolas Block
Putney, Vermont