Re: Source for 1160 Printers for inkjet negatives

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 FDanB@aol.com wrote:
> Thought the testing never stops, Jon Cone's Piezography software and
> quadtone inks (www.inkjetmall.com) still seem like a good way to go for
> making desktop negatives for alt photo processes (in addition to making
> great black and white prints on fine cotton papers).
>
> Epson 1160 printers do a fine job with Cone's inks and software but have
> gone out of production. As fate would have it, Epson stopped
> manufacturing the 1160 just as word got out as to how good it was for
> quadtone printing.

Dan, could you possibly explain in general terms for those of us on
information overload,

1. why the negative can't be made simply in black ink.  For instance I'm
getting adequate density according to densitometer with the 1160 & black
ink on vellum.  I haven't printed it yet (about to), but I do understand
that the quadtones cost more than the printer (I got mine at refurbdebpot
in January pretty cheap) and I assume yet ANOTHER learning curve with
them.

Since I'm feeling need to hoard any brain cells not yet allocated, I'm
wondering if the quadtones aren't a refinement more appropriate for
longscale platinum than shortscale gum... ???

2. Meanwhile, what are you printing the quadtones on?  Pictorico?  Where
can I get that in size 13 by 19 inches -- any ideas?

Incidentally I will praise Epson tech support. They didn't solve the
problem -- why image wouldn't center and why the strange banding... black
on one test, white on another when nozzles are exquisitely unclogged (I
think that's just to be chalked up to mystery of the spheres), but the
level-2 tech actually called me back, and spent at least an hour patiently
going through possibilities, never once either implied or hinted that I
was stupid, nor did he blame it on some other program. That may be a
first.

More mysterioso -- the little test strip (to save expensive ink & vellum)
does stuff the large print doesn't. When I said the hell with it & printed
the full size, it didn't band.

cheers,

Judy