inkjet negatives-was 1160

I'm curious regarding the behavior of inkjet negatives when printing them.  I
have made negatives for platinum (then printed by a friend) from an
imagesetter and, except where the light undercuts the "dots" on the negative,
you are basicly simulating tone with dots.  Is this pretty much true for
inkjet?  How about the color inkjet method Dan B writes about  in his book?
That would seem to possibly be more continuous tone considering the overlay
of the colored dyes....whereas the piezography system might be back to dots
in a sense, though the dots are much much smaller.... much smaller than an
imagesetter can produce (I think).

Thanks,
Mark Nelson