From: Judy Seigel [mailto:jseigel@panix.com]
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2001 2:08 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: RE: Source for 1160 Printers for inkjet negatives

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Keith Gerling wrote:
> 3) Gum is another story.  I am very pleased with the desktop negatives
that
> I can create for gum printing.  And I've found that there are no
particular
> gains to be had by using Quadtone, or even Color, for that matter.  Just
> plain old black ink, out of one nozzle, at about 270dpi works great.  Call
> it a gum limitation, or call it a limitation on my own perceptual
abilities,

Keith, it occurs to me that you're doing color seps, & if so are really
overlapping FOUR negatives, which would be 1,080 dpi, no?  When I did  gum
color separations about 2 years ago I printed them out on my 300 dpi laser
printer & waxed the paper and they were fine ! In fact the laser printed
dot prints VERY differently from the epson dot I find... and actually much
easier. Somehow the contrast was always right. At the stage I'm at now,
somehow the contrast is always wrong.

Judy