Re: Digital negatives for gum printing

Keith Gerling wrote:

  I would really appreciate seeing
> ANY comparisons of gum prints using:
>
> 1) Black vs. color demonstrating color is better

Ha!  I find myself enmeshed in my own net, I have been caught out.  I
print my inkjet negatives in color rather than black because I think the
*negative* looks better, smoother that way, and because theoretically it
seems like it would give more depth (to the negative, of course) to
print all the colors rather than just one. Have I ever printed the same
negative in black and in color and made gum prints from them to
determine whether negatives printed in colors actually make better gum
prints?  Guilty as charged, your honor; the answer is no! And
considering what's already been said here by various folks about
chunkiness, graininess if you will, being good for gum printing, it
stands to reason....

I won't promise to test this right away, but I'm certainly willing to
surrender on the point: I don't have any evidence to prove that printing
the negative in color is better for gum printing than printing it in
black. You're good....

Katharine