Re: hand made books/small prints

Shannon,

I was going to respond to this on sunday but needed to put some ideas in
line.  As to small prints, I have been printing 4x5 p/p contacts for 20
years and polaroid and silver prints for 30.  The polaroids and silver
are over-mated 11x14 boards the p/ps are tiped-in to 11x14 300lb
watercolor paper I have a press and de-boss a rectangle into the paper,
I also leave the deckle of the paper on. All the mats are vertical.

Small prints can command a power in a show, the trick is to make a small
print that can pull the viewer across the room. A stack of prints and
some good light and a nice chair and I can spend hours looking at them.
Give me a handmade book with images and I gone for days.  The making of
a book makes you think about the images much more.  You need to select
the images that work well with each other, it it harder that a show.

Like Tom I have made a few books one was a copy of a show of 6 prints
the book folds out to about 3 to 4 feet much easier than the show of
over 8 feet of wall.  I also use the book idea in 2 of my classes the
students need to make/buy, the book select their images and design the
finished project.

If I started over again I would still make small prints.

Jan Pietrzak