Re: Printmaking in the Sun

Hi:

Has anyone tried the processes(es) in this book?  I took a photo-etching
workshop years ago and make one plate and a bunch of prints from it.

It made gorgeous prints.  Deep deep deep blacks to die for!  Also
tried inking the plate with different colors in differeent regions.
(early false coloring urges )

Just need to get an etching press and room for it.

All the prepress work was done at a prepress shop - wonder if this could
be done by computer now?

Gord

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Juan Riera wrote:

> I have purchased the book some weeks ago. The title was a little bit
> confusing for me, as I expected something about the use of the sun on
> printing. However, it is about the solarplate printmaking (gravure-like
> printing using photopolymers), developed by Welden on 1972, and it treats
> specifically this (and only) material, than can be exposed in the sun. You
> get a plate to print intaglio or reliefs prints.
> The book is well written (as far as I have read) and if you are looking for
> something that completes your gravure, etching and other knowledge is OK.
> There is something about photogravure on solarplates, digital images, and
> intaglio techniques. But (snip) nothing about dichromate or platinum...
>
> Juan

Gordon J. Holtslander		Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca		112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg	University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433		Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461		Canada  S7N 5E2