Re: Shell Life of Van Dyke Sensitizer

Sandy,

If all you want is a brown image, then the stock solution keeps indefinitely.

However, if you want maximum D-Max, obviously you aren't going to get
it from a solution with half of the silver attaching itself to the
bottle. THE way to keep it, then, is to keep the tree parts separate
and mix them together just before use, or shortly before use. How
short? I'm not sure, but I would say within a day or so.

By the way, the silver nitrate is the last solution to add to the
mix, and it should be added a few drops at a time, with vigorous
agitation. Otherwise it will not go into solution and show up as
milkiness. If you THEN add more tartaric acid, it will go into
solution but speed will suffer.

In separate bottles they keep for at least months with no problem.

But, Sandy, I thought you hated Vandyke?

Sam