Dmax of Van Dykes

Keith Gerling wrote:

>With Van Dyke, I've never been able to get anywhere near the DMAX of
>kallitype, even when the silver is still in the solution.  Is this typically
>the case, or am I doing something wrong?  Regardless of the paper used, Van
>Dykes seem to have less than half the shadow density of a kallitype, and
>this is even with a double coating of Van Dyke sensitizer.

Something does see odd here. My limited experience with Kallitype and
Van Dyke is that the Dmax can be just as good with one as the other.
I just mixed up a new batch of the sensitizer today and made a few
Van Dykes from a 7X17 negative with a DR of approximately 1.6 (0.35 -
1.95). I gold-toned the prints after washing (but before fixing) and
got a really good Dmax, certainly as good as I get with traditional
Kallitype with the same type of toning.

Sandy King