Re: Digital Negatives and Linotronic film output?

+++++++++++++++++++
then garimo wrote:

> What is a source for the 80% grey stocastic screen??
OK, here goes

The last "update" Strange Ross sent to this list indicated he had
abandoned the aquatint screen (stochastic or otherwise) in favor of a
Photoshop curve, which coincidentally (or not) set the black point in
the positive at around 80% as I recall. I try to see if I saved this information....

eureka! I did save some of this stuff

from Strange Ross:
"As mentioned in the section "Notes on Polymer Photogravure" there are
two possibilities for employing digital positives in the photogravure
process. Either the digital positive can be produced to correspond to an
analog positive, with (average) densities ranging from zero to some
Dmax; in that case two exposures of the polymer plate are called for,
one to the aquatint film, and one to the digital positive. Or the
digital positive can be produced so that its (average) density scale
extends from zero to only 80%, thus in effect incorporating the aquatint
in the positive image; in this case only one exposure, of this digital
positive, is needed."

I think this might answer both questions???

that's my take on the subject

--
Darryl Baird