Re: Dmax of VD prints

Sandy,

Let me toss my $.02 in here. Under almost all circumstances I find
myself in agreement with your posts, it had to happen didn't it?
Recently I printed a small body of work with the Argyrotype process. I
used Arches Platine on the first set and loved the look. Then I tried a
cheaper paper, Lanaquerelle (sp?), then and like it too, but both the
color and contrast were different... using the same sensitizer and
negatives. The other variables you mentioned were all within the same
control as the first set -- I mixed fresh fixer regularly, washed the
same, and no toning. Darkroom and workroom conditions (humidity) were
the same. I even experimented with immediate versus delayed exposure
after coating the sensitizer. Then I printed a selection of the same
images on a variety of papers, each was different in contrast in most
cases and a few changes in the color again. I found that printing on
either side of the paper also introduced changes. I found, strangely for
me, I preferred the look of the images on the backside of the paper
(watermark reversed.)

In summary, I found the difference in contrast between papers pretty
great. Of course, I can't disagree with your experience, only site a
different experience.

-- later
Darryl Baird