RE: MOUNTING

From: Nick Frazier (giganerd@mindspring.com)
Date: 12/02/01-12:13:14 PM Z

RE: MOUNTINGWhat was described is a v hinge. YES paste is great stuff - I
use it to make books. Definitely not removable though.

If you are mounting larger pieces, try a slip thru t hinge - cut your
strips, attach one end to the back of the print, but don't put any glue on
the other end and don't fold them over. Then, cut 2 slits in the mat backing
that the strips can slip thru. Pull them thru then use any old acid free
tape to attach your strips on the back of the mat (forming an upside-down T
on the back of the backing). This will eliminate the torque that v hinges
suffer from (you can just imagine them wanting to pull off the backing under
weight/stress), and makes it easier to position your piece on the board.

An easy way to figure out where the slits should go is to 1) mount your
hinges so that the adhesive stops about 2 " from the top of the piece, and
use hinge strips that are about 4 " long. That way they will protrude off
the top of the piece. 2) Lay the piece on your backing board, about 2 "
lower than you want it to eventually be. 3) Mark where the protruding strips
lay. 4) Make your cuts. 5) After you have done your t hinge, you can cut off
the excess hinging strip.

Nick