Re: Gelatin Hardening

From: garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Date: 12/04/01-12:59:26 AM Z

>However printers of yore added chrome alum to their gelatin, I forget the
>amount but surely in the "literature" or someone on the list will have it.
>I've always meant to try it, but somehow -- I feel more comfortable
>separating the two.

I took a book along today as the truck was being tuned & the fluids
changed... HISTORY & PRACTICE of PLATINUM PRINTING by Luis Nadeau. In
the section on paper sizeing he says and repeats what others have
written about Potassium Alum not being a very effective hardener and
the use of alum being suspected of contributing to the degradition of
papers...but not to worry because the alum is likely washed out during
developing/clearing & washing. He says (like Liam also said today) "The
use of Formalin also poses no problem as it evaporates on it's own
eventually and also serves as a preservative". His reason for
mentioning the use of Alum as a hardner was that a gelatin sizing
hardened with formalin may be too hard to accept a platinum
sensitzer...he suggests hardening with the potassium alum/ making the
print/ then hardening with the formalin/and washing again.

seems like more work than I plan on...
garimo