Re: Gelatin Hardening

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/03/01-11:58:19 PM Z

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 Smieglitz@aol.com wrote:

> I've had success using this method with formaldehyde and submersion, but I
> think the 2-solution process is probably best in terms of disposal. The
> separate hardening bath can be reused and replenished as needed. If you add
> the hardener to the gelatin, then you have a toxic gelatin to dispose of
> rather than a gel that can just be thrown away.

Many folks now use glyoxal, since formaldehyde is hard to get. In my
experience the glyoxal doesn't keep well, so might create a problem in
keeping the gelatin.

However printers of yore added chrome alum to their gelatin, I forget the
amount but surely in the "literature" or someone on the list will have it.
I've always meant to try it, but somehow -- I feel more comfortable
separating the two.

Judy