old photography tools

From: Dennis B. Smith (dbsmith@zooropa.com)
Date: 12/04/01-12:32:47 PM Z

Hi,

I hope this is the appropriate place to make my inquiry. It was suggested to
me by a member of this group that I might find the information I am seeking
by posting in this newsgroup.

I'm a collector and amateur historian of drafting equipment specializing in
drafting pencils. As I've researched these instruments I was surprised to
learn that the same leadholder pencils and graphite lead common to the
draftsmen have been used historically by photographic retouchers as well.

I am seeking any information, especially printed information about the use
of these pencils as applied to retouching from the origin of this practice
to the computer revolution (1890? to 1990). Such information would likely be
found in old photographic equipment catalogs, magazines, and textbooks. Of
particular value would be any magazine advertisements for pencils marketed
to retouchers or catalogs featuring retouching pencils.

If any of you are or know collectors who might have such information please
contact me.

I maintain a website devoted to the history of drafting pencils at:
http://www.leadholder.com

The information I have thus far gathered specifically about the use of
pencils for retouching purposes can be found at:
http://www.leadholder.com/retouch.html

Cheers,
Dennis B. Smith
dbsmith@zooropa.com

    Visit the first and only website devoted to drafting pencils:
    http://www.leadholder.com/