Re: Gelatin hardening

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 12/05/01-08:46:44 AM Z

Cool, Ted! I'm glad you offered your chem info. BTW, it is
"paraformaldehyde" that is sold, and it is in liquid and powder form. The
liquid is 37% and available in large sizes too (presumably for dead
bodies??)
     When I was taught gum printing we used glyoxal, not formalin, because
of the toxicity of formalin. But then I read the thread on this list about
the yellowing over time of glyoxal (and can't remember what the final
decision as to this was) so now I am not so sure what to do.
     Mordancage is a method of using copper chloride, hydrogen peroxide,
acetic acid, and immersing a normally enlarged BW print in this to
essentially eat away in various amounts the emulsion. You can leave some of
the disintegrated emulsion (which adheres tenuously to the edges between the
darks and highlights) on in waves or you can rub all the emulsion off the
print, and then in both cases redevelop in dilute developer or toner such as
sepia/thiocarbamide to get a positive, partially positive, or negative end
product.
Chris