Quadtone,Inkjet Proofing tips and workshop announcement

From: Andy Darlow (andy@andydarlow.com)
Date: 12/05/01-12:57:37 PM Z

As a long time Alt Photo Process list subscriber, I thought this
might be helpful to some people out there. At the bottom is a notice
regarding a workshop that I'm giving this weekend.

INKJET PROOFING TIP

This is a tip which I shared with members of my digital newsletter,
which I send out to consulting clients and past students.

Inkjet Tip of the Month- Better test prints: A topic I'd like to
cover is how to make test prints of a standard calibration file or
any other file for that matter. When I want to calibrate a printer,
I generally start by printing out a file that all my former students
will probably remember (the ole no moire Carmen Miranda lady). It
can be found on the Photoshop 6 CD. Just run a search of the CD; it
is in the calibration folder. It was also on the Photoshop 4 CD.

Recently, I've added a greyscale gradient ramp to the picture by
making a gradient from black to white and then choosing
Image/Adjust/Posterize with 12 to 21 levels. It really helps to see
the transitions across the entire tonal range. If you use the image
on the PS6 disk, you will probably want to size it down and crop out
some of the color bars.

I then print the test file on the paper I plan to use, at a few
different media settings and usually 1440 dpi. This will yield very
different results, depending upon which you choose. Often, a setting
like Photo Paper or Photo Quality Inkjet Paper will work better on
archival matte than the Archival Matte setting.. I also choose
"Printer Color Management" in the drop down menu at the bottom of the
Epson Driver dialog box. I've noticed that on the newest printers
like the 1280/2000P/5500/10000, you can often use the high speed
feature and get nearly identical results with most images at half to
one third the speed. You'll need to run your own tests to determine
the best options.

Getting back to how I do multiple prints: I like to use the "Print
Options" feature under the File Menu. If you have a 3"x3" file, you
can go into Print Options and click off the box that reads "center
image" and click on the "show bounding box" feature. Then just move
the image to where you want it to print, press print and setup the
Epson driver. Once your first print is done, go back to print
options, move the image somewhere else and print again. As always,
the paper will come out of the printer upside down. Also, when you
are done testing, make sure you reset the print options to center
image so that you don't mistakingly print something in the wrong
place.

If you have a large file, like an 11x14, or even an 8x10, there is
another great way to test a portion of your photograph before
committing to the whole sheet of paper. Let's assume I have an
11"x14" file at 300PPI. It is of a group of people with some green
grass and a blue sky. Assuming I know which setting is right in the
Epson driver, I will make a square marquee selection that encompasses
the people, grass and sky in the actual file.. Let's say it is a
vertical square selection of 3"x5". My Page Setup should be for
11"x14"(though it could be smaller). If I then go into "Print
Options" making sure that the "Print Selected Area" box is checked, I
can move the image to anywhere I wish and only the section that is
selected on the main file will print where I have moved it to. The
"Print Options" dialog box will show the whole picture, but only the
area selected will actually print. Then just move it somewhere else
and you will save time, ink, paper, etc.

Another ink/paper saving technique is to use the preview command by
checking the little magnifier next to the print button just before
printing. This will show you what is about to come out of your
printer. I hope that was clear enough. Maybe I should do a
streaming video newsletter!

All the best!

Andy Darlow

WORKSHOP ANNOUNCEMENT (long winded, but hopefully covers any major questions)

Please take a look at my site (www.andydarlow.com) if you are
interested in taking any of my workshops or classes. I have been
teaching for five years at New York City's International Center of
Photography and for the last few months I have also been doing my own
workshops. Since there a few spaces left and only three days until
the class begins, I am offering members of this list a 25% reduction
($670.-normally $895). This includes 2-50MB drum scans(which we will
see being scanned at a local graphic arts company) as well as at
least one archival print up to 20"x24" on the paper of your choice.
I have an Epson 9000 with Generations4 pigment inks, an 1160 with a
Piezo Gen4 mix and a 1270 with MIS VM inks. The workshop is geared to
those who want an overview of digital printing options and I for Alt
Photo enthusiasts, I will show how to make prints that emulate the
look and feel of Platinum/Palladium, Van Dyke Brown, Cyanotype, etc.

Payment will be due on the first day of class, and if for any reason
you don't feel the first day was beneficial, you obviously won't need
to return and you will not be obligated to pay for the course.

If you can't make it to this class, please just let me know you are
interested and I'll give you first opportunity to register when I
decide on future dates. If you would prefer an ICP class that is
similiar to this one, with about 10 students (one day at my studio
and one day at ICP's lab), please consider my class called "The
Inkjet Print", scheduled for the first weekend in February. That
will be available for registration in about a month.

Also, I am doing quite a bit of private consulting at people's homes
and offices, and even by phone/e-mail. The cost is generally
$150/Hr, but in my ads, I have been offering 1 free hour with a 3
hour consulting session. In 3 hours, I can generally get a monitor,
printer and scanner talking nice to each other. It has been a joy to
be able to see people's faces light up when screen matched prints
start popping out of their previously "jinxed" printers!

I can be reached via phone and e-mail if anyone has questions
regarding my post.

Andrew Darlow Images International
920 Broadway -Suite 701
NY, NY 10010