Re: UV Article

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/07/01-01:46:19 PM Z

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Neal Oshima wrote:

> The reason I ask is that I have spent the past few years printing a series
> of cyanotype and VDB photograms exposed through diaphanous textiles. The
> prints were large, about 50" on the long side and I ended up using a 575
> watt HMI light source (used in cinema lighting), bare bulb at about 40".
> This gave me better sharpness than the FL bank, acting as a point light
> source and covered the print evenly. One problem was that exposures were
> quite long (45-70 minutes for VDB). From your research it sounds like the
> HID will provide a similar quality of light, with faster exposures and
> cheaper.

Neal, I'm NOT being sarcastic.... I think there's an interesting point
here, which I have an inkling of, but ask the artist: You're exposing
through "diaphanous textiles," but looking for ultimate sharp ????

Question #2 is where in the world did you get two-bulb fixtures for, I
assume you mean, 24 inch bulbs. I tried for years to get them, but around
here could only find singles except for the kind with attached plastic
"diffuser" to go under kitchen cabinets.

Question #3 is would one of you folks please spell out what HID & HMO --
no, we know that, I mean HMI, stand for?

thanks,

Judy