Airports, USPS and Film (Fuji's Warning and Advice)

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 12/08/01-09:47:56 PM Z

Fuji has posted a warning on new hazards to film at airports and through
the USPS. You can find the PDF link at www.fujifilm.com. There was no
copy right notice on the pages (and it's hard to imagine why Fuji
wouldn't want this information distributed) so I'm pasting it below.

Hope it helps,

Dan
-------------

New Postal Service and Increased Airport
Scanning Procedures Fog Photographic Film

In an effort to make the skies and United States mail safer after the
tragic events
of September 11th, new and increased scanning procedures have been put in
place by both the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) and the airline industry.
Unfortunately, these recent changes put photographic film at risk of
fogging and
exposure.

In airports around the country, the use of baggage scanners to detect
explosive
devices has been increased. Because of its silver content and metal
canisters,
photographic film, especially large packages or bundles of film, appears
particularly suspect. Unfortunately, the scanners are fogging undeveloped
film
left in checked baggage. Unlike the airport x-ray equipment of the past,
which
had little or no effect on unprocessed film, the International Imaging
Industry
Association, Inc. (I3A) has tested these scanners at the request of the
FAA and
determined they have the potential to fog both unprocessed color and
black and
white film. Processed film is unaffected.

As of October 27th, the USPS has begun purchasing electron beam scanning
equipment for use in sterilizing mail and eliminating any possible
exposure to
anthrax. This electron beam technology will fully expose undeveloped film
as if it
were exposed to sunlight. At this time, we do not have complete
information
regarding the extent to which these scanners will be used or when the
USPS will
begin using them. However, we currently are working with the USPS and the
I3A
to conduct tests of this equipment with our products. As we receive
additional
information, we will update this document to remain current with these
events.
While we applaud the FAA, airline industry and USPS in their efforts to
ensure
that checked baggage and mail are safe, we also realize that your
pictures are
very important to you and want to do all we can to see that your
photographic
memories are preserved. We offer the following suggestions to help you
avoid
damage to your film from airline scanners. We do not currently have
information
regarding any safeguards that may be taken to protect film sent via the
USPS.

* Make sure there is no unprocessed film in your checked baggage.
* Carry your undeveloped film with you as carry-on baggage and ask for
hand
inspection whenever possible. Place film in a separate mesh or clear
plastic bag
for easy identification by airport security.
* When carrying large amounts of unprocessed film, contact the airline
prior to
your flight to arrange for a special baggage inspection. When possible,
send your
film via a cargo carrier that will certify that the film will not be
x-rayed. The FAA
and I3A are currently working on guidelines with respect to this
situation.
* At some airports, passengers may be randomly selected from the carry-on
baggage check line and their carry-on luggage scanned as checked baggage.
Please be aware that this scan will fog film. If you are asked to step
into another
line, remove your film from your carry-on baggage.
* In time, security measures at airports may increase, and stronger
scanners may
be used to scan even carry-on baggage. Be aware of the signs in the
airport;
most carry-on baggage scanners, at this time, will be marked as "Film
Safe" if
they will not damage your film.