Re: Chromalum

From: Ted Edkins (tedkins@cygnus.uwa.edu.au)
Date: 12/09/01-07:15:33 AM Z

Judy, Alberto has answered your question about water of crystalization very
well. The only thing I'll add is that sometimes in formulae an amount of a
substance is given but you are not told whether they mean anhydrous or with
water of crystalization present. This is very confusing as you get
differing amounts of the substance in the solution. That's one reason,
amoung others, that chemists use molarity and not percentages.
I'm often called many things other than a scholar and a gentleman, so thank
you.
As to glyoxal; I looked at my bottle of Sigma Chemical Co glyoxal at work
on Friday and it was a wet yellow gunge. I'll bet there was very little
glyoxal left in the bottle. I'll ask my chemical analysis friends if there
is a simple method of estimation of the substance which may be of use to us.
Ted