RE: Van Dyke & Gum

From: Keith Gerling (keithgerling@att.net)
Date: 12/10/01-10:53:06 PM Z

Well, Judy, I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining this: I experience no
bleaching at all. I'm well aware of the bleaching qualities of dichromates,
and have seen the bleaching in action on factory made silver gelatin paper.
Having used many (probably at least 20) different papers, I have experienced
different colors, tones, contrasts, clearing qualities and other assorted
surprises, good and bad, when printing gum over Van Dyke and kallitype - but
not bleaching. For primarily environmental reasons, I allow my first gum
wash tray (and my second), to become VERY loaded with dichromate.
Essentially, my prints end up soaking for hours in a dichromate solutions.
No bleaching. What more can I say?

I'm not sure what you mean in your last sentence. I do size the paper after
applying the VDB, else the gum would never clear. The problem I am
experiencing now is one of clearing out the highlights in the VDB/Kallitype
component.