Re: uv ballast ground, yes

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/12/01-08:13:39 AM Z

Daren,

Not absurd at all: the inverse square law does *not* apply when using a
softbox in the usual way for 'soft' lighting effects. That is, where the box
mimics an artificial overcast sky over the subject. (Or window next to it,
etc, etc.) If a two-by-four foot softbox is used 2 feet from the subject,
inverse-square light falloff will not be observed when moving it six inches
in or out. If it is used ten feet from the subject it will become an
effective point source and roughly obey the inverse square law--and of
course at that point the softbox serves no visual purpose and only wastes
light.

---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/

NEW PICTURE GALLERIES: Flags and Pumpkins: Halloween 2001 Coal Country Skinny Buildings

---------- >From: Daren <mdaren@uswest.net> >To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca >Subject: Re: uv ballast ground, yes >Date: Tue, Dec 11, 2001, 6:19 PM >