Re: Ultraviolet projection

From: Art Chakalis (achakali@gcfn.org)
Date: 12/12/01-10:13:58 AM Z

John,

I have been using a Durst 606 retrofit with a 300 watt halogen source for
15+ years. At the time I built it, I spoke with an optical
engineer/designer at ? (I need to pull out my notes as it was either Omega
or Besler) to pick his brain, As I recall, they actually had some high
energy applications but never mass produced it. I believe it used a bank
of flash tubes . . . it would be great to find one used.

As to cooling, mount the blower in a separate location keeping it
unattached to the head and/or base. Use flexible tubing (I used 2" shop
vac) to feed the air into the lamp housing.

As to UV absorption, though I thought about it I never tried to check
transmission. I tested and use a 50mm 2.8 Nikor, which I focus using
visible light (the UV focus will will be slightly different) and it works
fine. Though I have putzed in a number of processes my real focus has
been dichromate based. Look up the dichromate sensitivity curves again . .
. UV is not as big of a concern as perhaps you believe . . . the near
UV/blue are significant.

If you want I can attach a few pictures of the my machine to a note . . .
let me know.

I hope this helped.

Sincerely, Art

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, John Cremati wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with a high output ultraviolet
projecti$
omate sensitized papers ..? John