Re. Increasing Film sensitivity

Grafist@aol.com
Date: 12/19/01-02:35:36 PM Z

Re the recent question on the possibility of increasing film sensitivity
after exposure.........After some reflection I would submit that the
"sensitivity" of a film to light is built into its emulsion at manufacture.
After exposure the sensitivity of the film would have been all used up, as it
were. The chemical structure of the silver halides has been changed by the
action of light thus creating a "latent" image.Then, all we could do is to
develop the latent but invisible image as fully as possible. See previous
postings. Alternatively, another possibility would be to treat the film
BEFORE exposure to increase its sensitivity. But that was not the question,
was it? What we are really thinking about is changing the manufacturers
rating of a film, innit?
Gordon wrote.......
>This is the practice of treating film after exposure, but prior to
development to >increase a film sensitivity.
                    See you. John - Photographist