Re: polaroid transfers without holder???

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 12/20/01-09:07:22 AM Z

Andrej,
     A couple of things, if I am understanding your email correctly: if you
overexpose polaroid film it gets, just like slide film, blown out, but
results in mushy white or yellow with no image. If you underexpose, it is
all dark with no image.
     If you press too hard or unevenly you get streaky stuff that looks
browny yellow, running the length of the image.
     I think if you get the film holder you will not run into this problem.
It sounds as if you are inconsistently developing the image, maybe by not
having even pressure throughout. When you use the holder you really need to
pull the film out quickly and evenly in order to produce a perfect image
with no marks.
     I admit I never use 669, only type 59 with the holder, because I prefer
the bigger image. And I have never regretted buying the larger holder (was
about $150) because I use it always in pinhole work, view camera work, and
in the Daylab to do transfers.
    Another thing: I had a number of students do transfers this semester
and they found that to brayer the image onto the water color paper for a
long time (not just 5 or 6 passes, but to actually brayer about 2 minutes)
and then to leave the negative in contact with the paper for longer (not
just 2 minutes but up to 15 minutes, under glass, damp paper as usual, on
top of a heating pad) they did not have lift off at all, and they produced
beautifully even transfers. This goes against what Theresa Airey and
Kathleen (?) Carr say in their books. One student did a beautiful project
of an underwater nude pregnant belly dancer with scarves and it was
beautiful. Nice turquoise blue water and fine detail.
Chris