polaroid transfers without holder???

From: andrej hocevar (ah@siol.net)
Date: 12/20/01-08:42:42 AM Z

Hello,
even though I've been told that you cannot make Polaroid transfers
without the appropriate holder I decided to give it a try. The
result -- and I'm actually not complaining :) -- were 20 lost pieces
of 669 film. No problem, but before considering buying a holder I'd
like to clear some things.
This isn't really about transfers, it's just dry theory, so, please,
try to help me. I used a 600 series Polaroid camera's rollers to
spread the emulsion over the surface of the 669 film, exposed with an
enlarger. The results weren't OK; true, there are many factors,
starting with the exposure time etc. But what I got was an image, as
if trying to look OK at the beginning -- ie. the area near the
developing pocket -- and more and more yellow towards the other end,
vaguely reflecting parts of the motif.
Now what does that mean; was the pressure to high, did the developer
gel squeeze out too much?

In short -- has anyone experience with that or is a holder
absolutely necessary?

Thanks,
andrej