Re: Desk top printing on FILM

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/02/01-12:54:38 AM Z

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Nick Makris wrote:

> Judy, Is the Epson 1160 a 4 ink or 6 ink printer. Seems that most of the
> excessive ink problems came with the 6 ink printers. Also, have you tried
> the Epson Backlight film, I have had the most success for inkjet neg with
> it. I could send you a sample to try.

Nick, it's a 4-ink, and still, yet, I think there are ink problems on film
-- at least that's one reason Dan Burkholder advises using the orange --
because it works with less ink. What printer & ink are you using ???

I haven't seen or tested the backlight, and jump at your offer... THANK
YOU ! It isn't going to solve my problem longterm (which may just involve
buying GIANT laser printer -- who was it said all problems dissolve in
money? They lie, probably, but maybe SOME problems).

So far, according to Epson manual, the backlight only comes to 11.7
inches, and reason I'm going through all this rigmarole is to print 16
inches wide. Of course the 1160 won't do that either, but it will do 12.6
or so, and I figure I should get the hang of it before taking plunge for
the 3000, which has footprint 32 inches by 24 inches, about, about size of
my house. (I'll have to sleep in it or under it.)

Meanwhile, I've been testing film-type substances, including fixed out old
lith film. With current ink, no good on full black, only permits up to
about 50% without blobbing & banding. Maybe there are other inks that do
better. Maybe I can improve with a matt spray. But would be great to see
and compare with a strip on the backlight !

Has anybody tried inkjet on duratrans?

Excelsior, or words to that effect...

Judy