Re: Desk top paper negatives - wax?/other stuff

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/02/01-01:50:03 AM Z

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
> Today I tried Daniel Smith beeswax pastilles, white little teeny
> thingies, that melt rapidly with an iron onto the fiber neg. The neg waxed
> up quickly and well. This is being said, of course, before printing. Will
> let you know printing results as soon as they happen. I mixed up the
> linseed and paraffin (the amount that didn't burn) and will try that
> tomorrow as another waxer.

If I wax again, will try either or both of those -- sound like less
trouble than melting paraffin. But does the linseed oil dry? Sounds like
it might stay tacky.

> RC paper takes pencil fine on the back without a spray. In fact, it softens
> the pencil marks a bit. Will see if, with the class, there are any paper
> texture marks with RC or not and report back.

I believe there are some RC papers that do take pencil, but some that
don't. The one I had was a don't.

> I used a product called Lazertran (has anyone heard
> of it? New here in the states I think in the last year; started in GB)
> which is really swift; it is a very thin transfer clear paper that you can
> put through a copier machine. Then, you put it in water, and the backing
> paper within a minute (after laying out flat) slides right off. The front,
> the clear "decal" looking stuff, has an adhesive on the back. It is super
> thin. On metal, glass and plastic, it adheres with nothing but itself. On
> paper or canvas, use acrylic medium. On other surfaces (oil paint, for
> instance) use turpentine as a base and a topcoat to meld the substrate into
> the receiving surface. So, anyway, it says you can bake it on the metal,
> which I did--while I was testing out 4 or 5 other processes. It got a
> little crispy. Actually it got a little black! And bubbly. On aluminum.
> But heck, it has *real* fun possibilities. I love it! Moral of this story,
> too; when using heat, don't turn your back.

I saw lazertran at a CAA conference, but wasn't available yet. Where did
you get? Is it expensive? Can you make negatives with it?

> Will try toilet seal tomorrow. It looks like beeswax but smells of
> petroleum. It is also more sticky and malleable than beeswax. Methinks it
> is a combo of wax and like...vaseline, maybe?

But toilet seal never dries....

(Isn't there a tune for that?)

best,

Judy