Re: BTZS tubes

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@flint.umich.edu)
Date: 02/03/01-10:10:07 AM Z

Richard Knoppow wrote:

> I use Unidrums and a Bessler drum for large format negatives. I have a
> reversing Unidrum roller. They do a good job but I discovered I was getting
> bromide streaks at very dense highlights on either side in the direction or
> rotation. Evidently there is not enough turbulence to move the developer
> sideways, so the reaction products keep being swept back and forth along
> the same path. The cure is to agitate the drum sideways occasionally, or to
> roll it manually with some irregularity. My largest negatives are 8x10 but
> I've frequently done four at a time in the 16x20 drum.

Richard,

I have a Kindermann tank agitator, like a Beseler or Unidrum roller, except it
has one end blocked by the motor housing which makes a long tube impossible to
use. Anyway, it rolls and tilts (lifts) the tank (drum) by means of an
elliptically shaped gear. Could you tape or somehow secure a small "nodule"
onto the rollers of your Unidrum, which would then tilt or lift your tube up at
regular intervals? A modification of a round roller gear into something
elliptical would seem the easy solution, it would have to be easier than
manually agitating every time you develop film.

Just thinking out loud.

--
Darryl Baird