Re: QUESTIONS for Dave R,. Re: registering paper negatives

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 02/04/01-12:04:56 AM Z

Dear Don,

My homemade vacuum frame consists of a piece of 3/4" birch plywood with a
piece of pegboard laminated on top. Prior to lamination, an interconnected
series of shallow grooves were made in the plywood (with a router) in the
areas directly underneath the holes in the pegboard. A small vacuum, a
"Dirt Devil", pulls air through the holes in the pegboard. A sheet of .005"
thick polyester covers the whole surface area of the pegboard. Overall size
is 20x24". With a masked 16x20" negative and the print paper underneath the
polyester sheet, everything gets sucked down tight, ensuring good contact
during exposure. The vacuum frame is hinged onto the edge of the UV-light
exposure box, for easy loading and exposure.

The polyester I use is "Kleerbase", an anti-static layout base material used
by printers. It's very similar to film, and is actually quite flexible.

I've used conventional contact frames and find them very effective for
smaller prints. For anything larger than 5x7", I use the vacuum frame.