Re: cyanotype

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 02/04/01-08:38:46 AM Z

> I Recived my copy of jan/feb View Camera. I found a article Beyond Basic
> Cananotype of intrest. The toning used in the phots are lovely. the ones
> treated in tannic acid has a feeling that has changed my feeling of printing
> in cyanotype. Has eny one worked toning cyanotype?
> I tried making a digital neg for the first time. All digital is new to me.
> I found a paper xerox color inkjet photo quality matte paper. the neg looks
> interesting the paper is thin but coated two sides and light goes though.
> allso ther is no markings in the paper base. I will do more exp with it.
> James

While there are some nice upbeat passages in that View Camera article, on
the whole I found it disappointing and the cyanotypes that were reproduced
pretty dull. The authors, about whom nothing was written, perpetuate the
myth about peroxide intensification and miss out on the least damaging,
least noxious way of bleaching cyanotypes i.e. sodium carbonate. The
process seems to be offered as an antique alternative to laser and inkjet
but overlooks the idea of combining digital negatives with cyanotype. If I
did not know the cyanotype process already, this article would offer little
incentive to try it. The cyanotype that is hand-colored with Dr. Martin dyes
(notorious for their fugitive nature) exemplifies an aesthetic of
hand-tinting that I reject. The authors would have done well to immerse
themselves in Mike Ware's 'Cyanotype' book and the latest issue of
Post-Factory. It surprised me that Steve Simmons chose to publish it in a
magazine that I otherwise respect.

Sarah