Re: Saving JPEG's for Web use?

From: Luc Novovitch (luc@overland.net)
Date: 02/06/01-10:43:39 PM Z

on 2/6/01 22:26, Dave Rose at photo@wir.net wrote:

> for webpage use. If I scan at 72 dpi and save as a JPEG to a final size of
> about 40kb, the quality is OK.

Dave,
72 dpi is just fine for on-screen viewing, and print so bad that people
don't steal the pictures (I hope...). It also helps for the viewer, as it
doesn't take for ever to load. If you're concerned about speed, you may want
to size your picture to a minimum agreable. A 4x5 or 5x7 is very readable on
a screen, and makes a manageable size file. Progressive is a good idea, some
people don't like to wait in front of a blank screen.
You may want to check Adobe ImageReady. A neat software which strips the
image coding to a bare minimum, speeding up the loading process.
As for 48-bit, it may be overdone for on-screen display...
A good way to test your work is to post it on your personal web-space, if
your provider offers such a thing, and view your pages through a browser by
calling your site (ie.: www.wir.net/~dave or whatever the address will be
using IE, Netscape or whatever browser you use.) That should give you a
pretty fair idea of the download time.
Good luck!
/ln

--