Carbon daunting? Was Re: preshrink was register p/negs

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 02/11/01-11:38:55 PM Z

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your comments about my chapter on carbon in Coming into Focus. I
will admit that the process can seem somewhat daunting and it is true that
in the early stages there is a rather steep learning curve. Ultimately,
however, it is really quite simple and easy to work. One of the great
advantges of carbon is that it is a really simple chemical process that is
relatively unaffected by contamination problems that raise havoc with the
silver and iron processes.

Another consideration is that the basic materials needed (gelatin,
pigments, potassium dichroamte) are very inexpensive, and yet with these
simple materials you have the most flexible (any color print on any
support) and permanent (carbon is a permanent as the support on which the
image is placed) of all photographic printing systems. Carbon images do not
fade, stain or tarnish, and there is a true elegance and simplicity in
their making.

Sandy King