Re: A little about Nitrate Films

bmaxey1@juno.com
Date: 02/15/01-04:55:13 PM Z

>>do you know much about cellulose nitrate -- where you get it
>>for instance, how you spread it -- and solvent? I've been wanting to
try
>>it for something else but so far didn't find much...

FYI: Celluloid - Celluloise Nitrate is a rare thing these days. It is not
really manufactured much. Reason is it is explosive. HISTORY: Celluloid
was widely used for decorative items and was developed in part, as a
replacement for Ivory. There were many manufacturers one time, but now, I
only know of one US Maker. They only sell in large (read HUGE) quantities
and pretty much on a custom order basis.

Nitrate films could be created chemically; what I mean is celluloise
nitrate in solution that could be spread as a film on a substrate, but I
would not suggest it. Nitrate films decompose over the years.
Incidentally, Collodin (sp?) is another name for this material in liquid
form.

Celluloid is manufactured in large bricks and then sawed to thickness. It
takes weeks to make the stuff. Also, it can't be shipped to you except by
truck and under whatever requirements there are for shipping explosives.
However, picks, pick-guards and binding can be shipped or sent parcel
post without these restrictions.

Currently, the only users are Guitar makers; celluloid binding for
instruments, and the manufacture of guitar picks. You can obtain the
materials from suppliers, but not in sheet form that would be siuitable
for photography. For photography, there are far better materials
available.

Bob