RE: Coating glass plates

alnovo@inwind.it
Date: 02/16/01-07:13:07 AM Z

> Didn't table-tennis balls used to be made from cellulose nitrate -
> possibly they still are?
>
> Peter Marshall
> Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
> email: photography.guide@about.com
> London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/
> The Buildings of London etc: http://londonphotographs.co.uk/
> Also on Fixing Shadows: http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
> and elsewhere......

In fact, I remember that some friends used to fire the broken balls: the fire was very fast and left no ash. Maybe it can be used as a simple method to confirm their composition?
However, I think that this source of cellulose nitrate is somewhat expensive, unless if not member of a tennis-table club...

Alberto Novo