Re: PS Re: Gum Arabic Solution

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/19/01-03:38:12 AM Z

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Sarah Van Keuren wrote:

> Every once in a while a student of the gum process will apply the emulsion
> with a sponge brush that is not entirely dry and the results have been
> unpleasant surprises such as streakiness and pigment not releasing. This has
> made me stick religiously with 14 baume gum but Judy's heretical deviation
> from the norm opens my eyes to new possibilities.

The streakiness is more probably from the application than the mix. If the
paper isn't sized, and/or rather absorbent, I could see that happening.
But on the other hand we may live on different planets: I always moisten
the sponge brush with a bit of distilled from a dropper & work it in by
hand -- otherwise the dry brush soaks up too much emulsion.

> I have wondered how in the 19th century the right baume was made from gum
> resin in cheesecloth submerged in water overnight. But of course they did it
> by feel the way artists and cooks do ‹ about the consistency of syrup,
> whatever that means.

I really really really don't think baume is serious... at least within,
say 25% (tho maybe I shouldn't say that.... tempting fate !) Another
explanation is that I often load up on paint to the max, maybe the water
is needed to dilute it a bit.

PS. But it's 4:39 AM here. I'm not responsible for any reality at a time
like this.

Judy