Re: mordancage web address

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/26/01-06:46:23 AM Z

Eric Boutilier-Brown wrote:
> ... I have found referring to it makes
> reference to the explosive (?) nature of 30% hydrogen peroxide - anybody
> know anything more about this chemical?

As several people have already mentioned, hydrogen peroxide is an
oxidizer. One should be aware of how it may be used or stored (and may
react) with other materials.

The most important concern is the storage. Hydrogen peroxide will
release oxygen gas which may produce an explosion hazard. The typical
strength (sold in drug stores) is 3%. One may get 30% from a chemical
supplier but it is unlikely that stronger solution can be purchased
without proper credentials. The big problem with storage is that the
oxygen is released and the strength of the solution diminishes. Even
the drug store variety (3%) will eventually "go bad". If using, one
should purchase small amounts that are "fresh". A full tightly sealed
contain will keep it longer, but oxygen can slowly penetrate most
containers. The 30% solution often comes with the container enclosed in
a sealed plastic bag.

With 30% especially, it is very important that the storage area be
vented so as to remove any released oxygen. Levels of oxygen at twice
that typically in the atmosphere could present a hazard.

The other consideration is that the percentage of the hydrogen peroxide
will not really be known as it continuously diminishes. Stronger
solutions will diminish quicker so immediate diluting to working
strength (or using the 3% variety) and storing in full small well sealed
bottles will help maintain some consistency when using. Also use caps
without droppers for storage as the flexible bulb will not contain the
oxygen and may also deteriorate.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/