Re: palladium questions

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/27/01-10:17:25 PM Z

"Christina Z. Anderson" wrote:
> If you have a stoppered bottle of palladium that is 3/4 full, will it still
> be good after one year?

Yes. (I am assuming you mean a double salt of Pd in solution, nothing
else added.) The only change would be if water evaporates effectively
increasing the strength of the solution. Note that some strengths of
solution will not stay completely dissolved at ambient temperatures and
may need warming in a water bath.

> What might be the cause of two round, about the size of jelly bellies,
> circles of lighter, lesser exposed palladium? ...
> did you guys ever figure out what the actual cause of bronzing ... and is it
> true that the addition of a bit (how much of a bit) of platinum to the
> palladium brew will stop this from happening?

The lighter spots or splotches and the "bronzing" can be attributed to
improper coating. When too much of the coating mixture puddles or dries
too quickly leaving a thick layer on the surface rather than in the
upper surface of the paper, both these effects can occur (individually
or together). The "bronzing" may also occur more easily when certain
materials are used. I have made many Pd prints without Pt without any
problems, and have noted "bronzing" when Pt was also present.

Other causes of light blotches could be foreign material (such as finger
oil, hand lotion, misc. chemicals) on the paper. Some papers coat
blotchy all over.

In some instances "bronzing" may be thought to be solarization, but is
likely caused with high humidity, high temperature exposures. This type
of "bronzing" can occur no mater how good the coating is.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/