Re: First kallitype

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 01/01/01-09:25:07 AM Z

Sandy King wrote on 12/31/00:
I am not Joe but I will try to answe your question. First, since you use
> the VDB as an object of comparison I am going to assume that your question
> is, "what is the advantage of salt prints over the plain VDB?" I am not an
> expert on either salt printing or VDB but I have made a few nice prints
> with both processes. For me the violet umber (untoned) or purple-violet
> black (gold-toned) of color (either untoned or gold-toned) of the salted
> paper print is a more beautiful and interesting color than the almost
> lifeless brown of the VDB.Some VDBs seem to pick up a little maroon and I
> like these more but I have not been able to get any color with VDB but dead
> brown.

Sandy, I think the range of brown tones of an uncontaminated VDB on a
suitable paper can be quite full of life, but that is ultimately a question
of taste. Sometimes my students have produced vandykes with gray-black
tones that are impossible to distinguish from palladium. This happens on
humid days or when the paper is not quite dry. Often just a part of an image
will be cool and gray-black and it is usually due to that part of the paper
not being completely dried. Maybe it is a bit like a ziatype regarding
humidity.

Sarah