gum arabic, was Re: gum printing without dichromate

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/01/01-05:03:57 PM Z

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Sarah Van Keuren wrote:
> As I recall from the days when I made lithographs, gum arabic is acidic with
> a pH of about 5.0. I don't consider prepared gum arabic totally harmless

My tests, with an admittedly cranky pH meter, showed that 4 different
lithographer's gums had 4 different pHs... And I could find no correlation
between "speed" of the gum -- all different -- and pH. My hypothesis,
therefore, was that difference is due to the preservative. This, as you
note, isn't given. If it's formaldehyde, probably small -- no odor.
Formaldehyde would in this form also be biodegradable, wouldn't it (??).
If it's mercury, ugh, but still maybe less than in the fish we eat?

You say "powerful" preservative, perhaps so, but in very tiny quantities.
I found 1 drop of formaldehyde (15% of 40% solution, whatever that comes
to) preserved 2 oz of gum arabic indefinitely.

But I SURELY DEFINITELY agree about not putting the hands in ANYTHING...
Even plain water will give you very unromantically chapped skin.

Judy