RE: large format negatives

From: Marc Gomm (marc.gomme@pandora.be)
Date: 01/04/01-09:10:35 AM Z

Helloooooooooooooooo,

Thanks for the quick answer. Because my english is just my third language I
have some problems with the abbreviations :

        MQ developper
        PMK
        ABC+

Can you help me please ?

See you,

Marc (Belgium)

> Hello, After working with a 8x10 inch camera ... I am thinking
>about going larger. I developped the 8x10 sheets in hangers I bought in a
>shop several years ago. But for larger formats I cannot find something
>usefull here in Belgiumų (Europe) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So here we go with
>some questions : How do you develop larger formats such as 11x14 or 8x
>20 ? Which developper is used at this new method ? Thanks ... have a
>nice 2001 ..... Marc (Belgium)

Marc,

You have two practical choices, 1) develop the large film in trays, or 2)
develop in tubes with rotary processing, using either film drums or tubes
(BTZS, home-made tubes. or Jobo expert drums). The method you use would
logically be governed by the quantity of your work. There is no question
but that tray processing is more productive so if you need to develop a lot
of sheets in a single session this is the best way to go. I prefer rotary
processing and have various drums and tubes that allow me to do either one
or two sheets of 7X17 or 12X20 at a time. My preference for rotary
processing is guided by the fact that, 1) with all considerations I believe
it is the single *best* way to develop film, 2) rotary processing in tubes
on motor base leaves me free to do other things during film processing, 3)
I hate to stand in the dark for long periods of time doing nothing but
scratching my derriere and shuffling film, 3) I am incredibly adept at
scratching and making deep gouges in the film during tray processing.

As for developers you can go with either an MQ developer or a staining one.
D76 straight or D76 1:1 is popular and favored by many large format
workers, as are the staining develpers PMK and ABC+. I will also recommend
my own Pyrocat-HD formula, a staining develper based on
Pyrocatechin/Phenidone. It is less expensive to mix than PMK and ABC+ and
works in place of either of them: a 1:1:100 dilution of Pyrocat works
almost exactly like PMK 1:2:100 (both in terms of development times and
curve characteristics), while diluted 2:4:100 it replaces ABC+ (and is even
superior to it for zonal expansion of tough films like BPF and HP5+).
Pyrocat also is much less likely to stain film than pyrogallol based
developers lier PMK and ABC+ which must be used with rotarty processing
with great care.

Sandy King