Re: process question

From: Ken Sinclair (photo1@telusplanet.net)
Date: 01/04/01-02:37:34 PM Z

Rachelle,

I believe the process "name" you seek is rotogravure... where the material
is brought into contact with the paper "directly" froma metal plate that
was "etched" rather than off the secondary rubber drum which takes the
image from a "screened" negative. Generally the rotogravure process
produces a page of a higher quality than offset pinting.... at a much
higher $$ cost.

The last books I remember seeing printed in rorogravure may have been the
first edition of the Time-Life Series on "photography" that came out in the
late 60's

A photograph printed by rotogravure process can be recognised quite
easily.... as long as no one in the library sees you doing it... take the
"back" of your fingernail and "gently" take it across a corner of the
photograph image "space"... looking at the image from an angle, you will
find you have left a "skid-mark" that cannot be "rectified".

One of the negative films used to make the plates was Kodak's 4127.

Ken